April 14 – May 20, 2017
Gallery Hours: Tuesday–Friday, noon–5 pm
Join us as we kick off our 30th anniversary celebration with a milestone exhibition. Thirty features artists who have played a significant role in our organization in the past 30 years. The Thirty include esteemed and emerging artists, and those who’ve laid the bricks and paved the path for WPCA. The list of artists reflects not only the significance of our organization’s strong history in visual/experimental/performance art, but also our growth alongside the artists and the art community as a whole. Thirty is an homage to where we come from, the bright memories, and who we are at 30.
- Dennis Nechvatal – First exhibiting artist in September/October 1987.
- Valerie Christell – First WPCA administrator, currently gallery director at Alfons Gallery.
- Dorota Biczel Nelson – Former WPCA staff. Currently a PhD candidate in Art History at University of Texas in Austin.
- Della Wells – Exhibited in numerous shows and curated several, including Sister Stories (2004) and A Journey of Wisconsin Self-Taught, Outsider Folk Artists (2002).
- Jośe Chavez – Longtime board member, exhibiting artists and curated the annual Dia de los Muertos exhibition.
- Germán Gómez – WPCA intern who grew up attending our art education programs. Currently a sophomore at UWM’s Peck School of the Arts.
Full list of artists:
Tom Aldana, Jose Chavez, Valerie J. Christell, Demitra Copoulos, Carlos Cortez (courtesy of Colección Salgado, Chicago, IL), Christopher Davis-Benavides, Raoul Deal, Marcela Garcia, Germán Gómez, Dara Larson, Mark Lawson, Rosana Lazcano, Colin Matthes, Mark McBride, Francisco X. Mora, Dennis Nechvatal (courtesy of artist and Tory Folliard Gallery), Dorota Biczel Nelson, Josie Osborne, Pacia Sallomi, Roy Schmidt, Paula Schulze, Roy Staab, Fred Stonehouse, Leon Travanti, Benito Tyjeski, Della Wells, Rina Yoon…